Third-party services such as Angie’s List, Home Advisor, Fixr, or Thumbtack are one way to promote your business to homeowners who need your services. However, relying on these alone won’t bring in a steady stream of customers. You need an SEO campaign with keywords that deliver success.
Now, you might have some idea of the importance of SEO. You’ve seen it in action every time you’ve visited a search engine such as Google, typed in a request, and scrolled through the results. Yet if you’ve never worked with SEO before, you might wonder how to find the best keywords for your SEO campaign.
Polianna can help. Our online marketers have collaborated with home service providers and contractors since 2016, creating Google-friendly sites that enable them to scale and surpass the $1 million/year revenue mark.
We’re glad to build a Google-friendly site for you, too, so that customers have no trouble finding you and your services. Call us today at (703) 475-6907 to learn more.
What Are SEO Keywords?
SEO, or search engine optimization, is a marketing technique that uses keywords, citations, and links to market your website in search engines. Using SEO can boost your rankings in search engine results, improve your visibility on Google Maps, and get more exposure and traffic for your business.
SEO keywords are distinct words or phrases that a customer might use to find your business. When you include these on your website, Google’s algorithm notices and includes your site among any search results for those keywords.
However, using keywords takes strategy. You can’t just insert them into sentences where they don’t make sense, for instance, or list the same keyword repeatedly down a page and hope that does the trick. Google is savvier than that.
That’s why businesses need to be savvy, too. Before choosing keywords, you need to develop an SEO campaign—or several—with specific goals in mind.
Finding the Best Keywords by Crafting an SEO Campaign
To find the best keywords, think first about the purpose of your SEO campaign. Expanding your customer base and outranking your competitors are two common goals—but we’re asking you to drill down a little deeper.
Do you want to increase your site’s number of monthly visitors? Reach a sales goal by a targeted date? Book several jobs or consultations each quarter? Improve awareness and penetration in a city, county, or other location?
Answers to questions such as these will help narrow your scope and improve the accuracy and power of your keywords.
Jot Down Relevant Subjects
Once you have some ideas in mind for your SEO campaign, make a list of topics relating to your company and those goals. Be sure to remember: Who is your target audience? What topics will they search for on Google?
For instance, if you’re a plumber in Alexandria, Virginia, you might list terms such as:
- plumbing services in Alexandria
- emergency plumber in Alexandria
- water heater repair in Alexandria
You’ll also want to consider the search intent behind these keywords. People search online for several reasons. Sometimes they want an answer to an exact question or problem. Other times, their purpose is broader, such as finding a nearby business that suits their needs.
If you own an HVAC company, you might consider:
- Do they want HVAC installation?
- Is the time of year relevant? Do they need HVAC service in the spring before cranking up the AC during the summer?
- Are the circumstances relevant? Do they have an individual brand of HVAC system that needs repair? Is this an emergency? Are they putting their home on the market and want the HVAC serviced before a sale?
- Are they looking for energy efficiency? Can you recommend particular models?
Imagine yourself in a customer’s shoes. Do they have a definite problem or are they looking for a business in their area with certain expertise, hours, and pricing? The keywords will differ for each scenario.
Research Various Keywords
Although marketing specialists such as the experts at Polianna can advise you on a keyword strategy, it’s always enlightening to research keywords on your own. You might find others to include in an SEO campaign.
Fortunately, there are several free search tools that you can use online that will present you with a list of applicable keywords. Here’s a little more about them.
- Google Keyword Planner: With a free Google Ads account, you can use Google Keyword Planner, a research tool that tells you how often people search for different words so you can narrow down your list of keywords.
- Ubersuggest: Enter a domain name or keyword into this free tool (also available as a browser extension), and see what related keywords appear. For more ideas, Ubersuggest recommends entering a competitor’s website to gain insights into the strategies and keywords that work for them.
- Answer the Public: Enter a topic, product, or brand into this free tool, and Answer the Public will provide you with an alphabetical list of keywords, as well as questions that people are using in their searches.
Google also suggests what marketing specialists call long-tail keywords. These are more descriptive terms that fit an exact need. For instance, if you own a roofing company, some natural keywords for your services might include “roof waterproofing” or “roof inspection.”
However, if you visit Google’s home page and start to type “roof inspection” in the search box, Google will suggest some long-tail keywords that you might not have considered, such as:
- roof inspectors near me
- roof inspection cost
- roof inspection for insurance
As you can see, these keywords each address a precise audience, question, and solution.
Let Polianna Find the Best Keywords for Your SEO Campaign
At Polianna, our online marketing experts specialize in helping small businesses compete and expand, some with 60% to 111% growth in traffic and customers. Although we work primarily with home service providers and contractors, we’re also proud to deliver strong results to clients in fields such as
- Health (dentists, opticians, physical therapists)
If you’d like to learn more about what we can do for your SEO campaigns, please click on the orange “Book a Free Strategy Session” button above or call (703) 475-6907.